Safari Hunts are usually take place between May and September, but can be requested at other dates.
Hurry to make your 2020 booking!
601 914 0330
Temporary Import Permit for Taking Firearms to South Africa:
The following information is from the PHASA website and are needed for the temporary importation of a rifle and/or shotgun to South Africa:
Professional Hunters’ Association of South Africa (PHASA)
Temporary Import Permits Service
PHASA endeavors to ensure all international hunting tourists a trouble-free arrival in South Africa.
It’s as easy as 1-2-3
1. PHASA can apply on your behalf, for your temporary importation permit or in-transit permit prior to your arrival.
2. A representative from Bangy Travel will meet you, on behalf of PHASA, in the SA Police office at OR Tambo (Johannesburg) Airport with your permit.
3. The representative will assist you with the clearance of your firearms.
Please take note of the following and do not hesitate to contact Mrs Du Plooy from our office at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need any further information. She will gladly assist.
I. COST/S PAYMENTS: PERIOD 1 JANUARY TO 31 DECEMBER 2016:
A. $150.00 USD per applicant.
B. PHASA accepts credit card payments and bank transfers. (Request the authorization form from PHASA)
III. BASIC REGULATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS FOR THE ISSUING OF A TEMPORARY IMPORT
A. Maximum of four (4) firearms or shotguns per applicant.
B. Not more than one of the same caliber or gauge.
C. Only 200 rounds for each permitted firearm or shotgun will be allowed.
D. No ammunition for other firearms (not accompanying you) is permitted.
E. Firearms must bear the manufacturer’s serial number or any other mark by which the firearm can be identified. The identification number must be stamped and the mark affixed in the prescribed manner on the barrel, the frame or the receiver of the firearm.
IV. SPECIAL APPLICATIONS: (Subject to pre-approval only: documents must reach us at least 35 days prior to arrival)
A. Handguns are allowed into the country for hunting purposes only and therefore you need to submit the following additional documentation:
– A letter of invitation from the outfitter stating the handgun will be used for hunting purposes only;
– A motivational letter from you stating that you will be using the handgun for hunting purposes only and any other relevant motivation.
B. Semi-Automatic shotguns:
– A letter of motivation from you must be submitted, stating the reason/s for bringing it into the country.
C. Any person under the age of 21 that wishes to apply for a temporary import permit has to include a motivational letter with the application proving that he/she is a capable hunter. Any additional motivational letters from third parties will help with the application.
* PHASA needs the following documents at the latest 25 days prior to your arrival.
(Please note item IV regarding handguns, semi-automatic firearms and applications for persons under the age of 21, where applications need to reach us at least 35 days before arrival).
A. Form SAP520 (download):
ONLY the following sections need to be completed (use black ink):
Page 2 – Sections E 2.1 to E 24 (Natural person’s details)
Page 2 – Section 25 if you are married
Page 4 – Sections G1 to G 5 & G 8 to G 9.2 (Import/Export details)
Page 5 –Sections I 1.1 to 2.2 (Details of firearms etc.)
Page 6 – Section J (Signature of applicant)
B. Notarized copy of Applicants’ passport – page on which the photo and passport details are reflected. (Certified as a true copy)
C. Notarized copy of Proof of ownership of firearm, eg. legal licence, permit, certificate, authorization or any other documentary proof confirming lawful possession of the firearm: (Certified as a true copy)
Examples of documentation to proof ownership:
– USA: Custom Form 4457 (contact your nearest airport for this)
– UK, etc: Copy of your firearm License or Certificate
– Europe: Firearms Possession Licence (Waffenbesitzkarte)
– European Firearms Pass (Europaeischer Feuerwaffenpass)
– Other: A letter from your local sheriff in the form of an affidavit confirming ownership or Invoice from a gun shop where you have purchased the firearm
D. Copy of flight itinerary from airline or travel agent
E. Copy of Invitation letter from your Hunting Outfitter
F. Proof of payment or payment by credit card must accompany your application.
The Sofala Nature Reserve and our surrounding hunting areas in the Limpopo Province have dry winters (May to August) with very little to mostly no rain and low humidity. Hunters wear a warm jacket or sweater in the morning (mid 40’s) that can be taken off as the temperature will rise around 9am to 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit and then drop down again (to mid 50’s) around 5pm. In the winter sunrise is usually around 6:30am and sunset is usually around 6pm.
Kruger National Park, located in the Mpumalanga Province and has very similar weather conditions except that the daily high temperatures in the summer months are a little lower than in the LimpopoProvince. In Cape Town tourists can expect sunny and pleasant weather with some rain and windy conditions during the winter months (May- August). Average temperatures for the region of the Limpopo Province where the Sofala hunting areas are located as well as Kruger National Park.
In South Africa:
(Licensed Professional Hunter)
(Owner, Sofala Safaris)
Phone: 601 914 0330
In the USA:
Phone: 662 836 4493